The impression share is a fundamental indicator in case you would like to have a clear understanding of what's going on in your account.
First, let's start with explaining how to get this indicator in your AdWords account:
1. Log into your AdWords Account
2. Click on "Campaigns" and then look at the data that is provided at a campaign level
3. Click on "Columns" and then on "Customize Columns"
4. Click on "Competitive Metrics" and then add "Impr. Share", "Lost IS (Budget)", "Lost IS (Rank)"
5. Click on "Apply" to implement the changes
You will see three new columns in your Adwords Account. They will give you some important information about your campaign. Specifically:
- How many times did your advertisements show up given the total number of potential impressions? This value is expressed by the Impression Share and has a value between 0% and 100%
- How many impressions did you lose due to a low budget? This is expressed by the indicator called Lost IS (Budget) and might be a good indicator of how much you would need to increase your budget in order to increase your impression share
- How many impressions did you lose due to a low bid or a low quality score? This is shown by the column Lost IS (Rank) and it is very useful to identify the entrance of new competitors in the market.
As you can easily imagine, these 3 new columns you just learned how to use will give you a ton of information to work with!